gall and gumption

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Howlin'

In the car today I listened to my Howlin' Wolf album. When I listen to Howlin' Wolf I understand what made Rock 'n' Roll happen. But I have no idea what made Howlin Wolf happen. And I'm not even that crazy about most Rock 'n' Roll. But I love Howlin' Wolf. You know how gospel music can be rousing, like the Five Blind Boys of Alabama or Rev. James Cleveland? I put Howlin' Wolf with Bessie Smith among the great blues musicians who rouse you to do other things Robert Johnson is brooding and very lyrical. But Howlin' Wolf makes you want to shake that thing.

I am a backdoor man...
Well the men don't know but the little girls understand
...

I'm built for comfort, I ain't built for speed

...

We're gonna pitch a wang dang doodle all night long.

3 Comments:

At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Three hundred pounds of comfort and joy.
He is such an original-- the instrumentation is so great and raw and goes so well with his howling. I know what you mean-- How did Howlin' Wolf happen? I think I've got to go put on a CD of his right now. Just the thing to go with As I Lay Dying, don't you think?

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Kia said...

Raw. Yes. He is an excellent choice to accompany As I Lay Dying.

Probably even better with The Hamlet. I should think he would be the theme music for Will Varner.

 
At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My iconic rare portraits, concert shots and family pics of the legendary Howlin' Wolf may be seen on my website: www.howlingwolfphotos.com I was Wolf's friend and harmonica student, as well as chosen photographer. I've recently located additional interviews and unique acoustic songs by him (and me) playing and singing together! that have never yet been published on CD or record, but are about to be. You can partly learn "what made the Wolf happen" from the story on my site, and from his Pantheon biography, too. My interview of him, in his own words, is featured in chapter one there, why he ran away from "home" at 13. Best... Howlin' Sandy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home