gall and gumption

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Not Dead

I'm camping out at the new place and didn't have internet there till tonight. I have a temporary dial up account till the real one gets set up. I'm moving, cleaning, and I'm three days into a new job. I suppose life will feel normal some time TBD, but at the moment it feels like that will never happen. I tell myself that moving to a strange place is always like this. But then, I have moved to a strange place. Can't see another house from mine. But if I walk half a mile and cross the road I enter this subidivion that is straight out of Disney's Main Street -- if Disney's Main Street had a golf course running through the middle of it. It has its own little supermarket and shoppping center with (thank you Bijan) the inevitable nail salon and tanning place, and aside from that it is a desolation out here. If the houses weren't so Christmas-card perfect -- if they were double-wide trailers -- the subdivision would remind me of the camp my Dad lived in in Saudi Arabia. I turn my back on those splendors and walk down my dirt road again, woods on my right till I get to the meadow and then this small, shabby, quirky, drafty, and desolate-looking old ranch house. Well, I begin to think I may be testing the limits of my capacity for dislocation a little too rigorously.

At twilight I was stacking some firewood (a surprisingly satisfying pastime, who would have guessed?) when Sweetie took off after a deer. I followed the sound of her crashing through the woods and then I heard her just doing that special excited yelping bark she does, the sound fading off into the distance of some fields much decorated with "No Trespassing" signs. I wandered into some place where I definitely was not supposed to be, calling and whistling to her, and then it got dark so I walked back cursing like mad of course. By the time I had collected my wits -- collect flashlight and coat -- she came sauntering in the door mightily pleased with herself. When I sit out in the back yard after dark, though, she huddles behind my chair and listens nervously to the sound of the old metal shed creaking, and to the owls and other wild noises and the planes from Dulles, and where's the big showboating deer chaser then, I'd like to know. She just sits there looking alarmed.

But in the morning and in the afternoon light this place is magical. It's real. And I've learned rather quickly how to start a good fire. I started the piece on the Turner show but it has sort of gotten away from me. You'll see what I mean, I'm sure. Meanwhile, thanks for hanging in through the long silence!

11 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to have you back, m'dear.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Kia said...

A voice! I think we heard a voice, Sweetie! Light the flares!

 
At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dislocations are mini-emergencies - all is out of whack, or just whacked. strangeness obtrudes. who'd a thunk to be grateful for dial-up? what do the disneyites across the road have?

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger leslie said...

Welcome back. We missed you.

 
At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome to the great long everlasting dislocation. Tis life as we know it.

 
At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, good. I was getting a tad concerned. Even considered sending an email. But then realized that if you were dead you probably wouldn't answer.

 
At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

shadow51:

The dead don't answer e-mails? Shoot!

 
At 7:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this place lots better than Germantown. More deer! No constraints!

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Kia said...

I was wondering about all the dog hair on the keyboard...

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

mont blanc pens, canada goose, uggs outlet, p90x workout, reebok shoes, chi flat iron, babyliss, soccer jerseys, valentino shoes, instyler ionic styler, insanity workout, bottega veneta, north face jackets, ugg soldes, canada goose outlet, beats headphones, hollister, uggs outlet, soccer shoes, new balance outlet, asics shoes, abercrombie and fitch, mcm handbags, wedding dresses, ugg boots, canada goose outlet, lululemon outlet, ugg outlet, celine handbags, birkin bag, replica watches, nike roshe, nfl jerseys, north face jackets, vans outlet, nike trainers, ugg, ghd, ferragamo shoes, canada goose outlet, mac cosmetics, ugg boots, longchamp, giuseppe zanotti, herve leger, nike huarache, uggs on sale, jimmy choo shoes, marc jacobs outlet

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

links of london uk, swarovski jewelry, moncler, pandora uk, canada goose, supra shoes, ray ban, timberland shoes, hollister, juicy couture outlet, moncler outlet, thomas sabo uk, coach outlet, vans, gucci, hollister canada, parajumpers outlet, oakley, canada goose, moncler, swarovski uk, montre femme, louis vuitton canada, moncler, wedding dress, uggs canada, converse shoes, air max, lancel, toms outlet, juicy couture outlet, hollister clothing, moncler, baseball bats, pandora charms, louboutin, ralph lauren, replica watches, converse, ugg, moncler outlet, canada goose, karen millen, iphone 6 case, moncler, nike air max, pandora jewelry, canada goose pas cher

 

Post a Comment

<< Home