gall and gumption

Friday, May 25, 2007

Eleventh-Hour Alert

On very short notice I shall be off tomorrow to New York. Gonna go amongst My People, to see a play in Brooklyn. I've looked at the venue on the map and it is apparently in the hub of the West Indian area. It's written by my mother, and this Jamaican woman is staging it. It played in London several years ago to, I must confess, mixed reviews. I haven't seen it so this is my chance. I've got my apprehensions about it, I read an early draft and wanted to get at it with the scissors but everybody in my family is morbidly sensitive about these things except me.

I'm planning to see a couple of people downtownish/Brooklynish, one friend who is getting ready to go teach English in Turkey. And Mary. And whoever else I get hold of. Last time I did this, and, really, whenever I visit New York, I run myself right into the ground. I did that last time and came back to DC utterly knackered. And still missed the Spanish painting show. I've got some slack time and I'm looking for things to do that aren't shopping. Art shows especially.

I'm only going to do one shopping thing, which is try to get over to New York Central Art Supply and look for beautiful paper. I'll probably do the play tomorrow night and spend Sunday mooching about. I should probably stay out of The Strand. I will at least call some of you, you know who you are. If you want to play, and not rely on my less than perfect phone technique, email me (kpenso@yahoo.com) or post a comment here.