gall and gumption

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Big Day

You know, for me for a long time this vote was about getting rid of the criminal conspiracy. But in the last few days it seems to have opened up into something else, something else much bigger and happier. I'm not alone in this, as I noticed reading Tbogg a couple days ago.

I'm in my fifties and I never thought that I would see an African-American elected President of the United States in my lifetime. I just didn't think we had it in us but it appears that we have most assuredly come a long way.


But it's much wider than that. Yesterday, via the St. Kitts-Nevis email list, I found this speech that the Prime Minister, Dr. Denzil Douglas, gave on his weekly radio talk show.

Today, the people of the United States will choose their 44th president. On the ballot are two men with impressive careers of public service - Senator John McCain of Arizona , and Senator Barack Obama of Illinois . As a government that honors the sacred right of all people to choose who would govern them, we will applaud the will of the American people – whatever the outcome - and look forward to working with whomever the people of the United States chooses to lead them over the next four years.

There is something different about this election, however. And it has generated intense interest and excitement in every corner of the globe. And because Senator Obama is of African descent, the utterly brilliant race he has run against the most powerful and impressive opponents in both the Republican and Democratic Parties, fills us – also people of African descent – with a sense of awe, and wonder, and hope, and pride. It fills us anew with a sense of life’s possibilities… .it makes us think about our own capabilities. It reminds us, as individuals and as a nation, of what is possible when there is discipline…..dignity…..perseverance. It reminds us - with electrifying clarity – of what is possible when there is a commitment to excellence.ellipses in original


I have heard so many of Dr. Douglas's speeches, and I am certain he is genuinely moved. How can we not look at this moment, so unexpected, with awe, and wonder, and hope, and pride?



And yet, here we are.



Well, I don't know what came over me, but my head has been full of all that righteous soul music of the sixties and seventies, and they sound especially good to me today, as if the promise in them was still fresh, the I.O.U. was still valid and another big payment got made today.

Hence, more Curtis for you!



Because maybe the mothership is coming in for a landing and we're a few light years closer to



And so tonight I think about those who stepped up when it was harder to believe, when it was ridiculous to believe.



I'll fall asleep with my heart full of thanks to them all.

1 Comments:

At 12:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen.
PS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home