gall and gumption

Monday, July 30, 2007

Ingmar Bergman

I keep people like him are going to last forever, and then I feel disappointed. But really, selfish thoughts aside, I just feel like one ought to rejoice the thought that he had such a long and rich creative life.

My mother and stepfather went to see The Seventh Seal night before last. You have to understand that my stepfather is as ignorant of popular culture as it is possible to be. He somehow managed to get through the 1960s and 1970s without ever having become more than dimly aware of the Beatles. He likes classical music (has good taste in it too) and old English church music, even though he's a total nonbeliever. He is fanatically devoted to all things British, the one exception being his Jamaican wife and her family.

So they went to see this film, my mother reports, and his verdict was "not a barrel of laughs."

3 Comments:

At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved your stepdad's comment. Maybe not culturally astute but oh 'tis true, 'tis true.

Actually, whenever I think of The Seventh Seal I do get a chuckle because I can never think of it without remembering this poster I saw when I was in college (lo, these many years ago) which I wished I had purchased then because I've not seen it since. But it's a scene from the movie with Max von Sydow and Death playing chess but Death is wearing a fireman's helmet. Don't know why but it always cracks me up.

 
At 6:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Comment made by acquaintance upon being told of Ingmar Bergman's
death:

"If he was so good, how could I have lived 42 years and not seen a
single movie of his? Surely they would have shown ONE of them on
TV. "


from "Hamlet":

Alexander died, Alexander was buried,
Alexander returneth into dust; the dust is earth; of
earth we make loam; and why of that loam, whereto he
was converted, might they not stop a beer-barrel?
Imperious Caesar, dead and turn'd to clay,
Might stop a hole to keep the wind away:
O, that that earth, which kept the world in awe,
Should patch a wall to expel the winter flaw!

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Kia said...

Your acquaintance's theory would make Terminator 2 a masterpiece. It's always what seems to be showing when I stay in motels.

Your Hamlet quote reminds me of The Worms at Heaven's Gate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home