gall and gumption

Monday, February 09, 2009

buckner: Latest Post-Post

Please forgive this one last “post-modern” sighting. For the past two years I have worked as a translator of Italian art catalog criticism and interviews. It is very tedious work; art criticism in general is some of the worst writing in the world, and I’d say the Italian variety is up among the most intolerable. Even the guy I work for, when I complain about the thickness of the writing says, “It’s writing about art. Who reads it? Five people!” In a perfectly serious review I translated yesterday I found this (my translation of the Italian):
The result is binding; the nervous and convulsive drawing of the traversers, in blacks and reds, that plants seeds of disorder in the calm and meticulous scene, is not the latest citation in the history of painting, but rather a new, energetic, and very provocative proposition, which could be called post-post-modern.

Al Stephens saw this coming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home