gall and gumption

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Confidential

Some of you may or may not know that my present gig is with de gummint. There are some extremely aggravating things about it and others that I like. One of the things I like is it's an old building with a lot of marble. There are fossils in the marble. I have so far found two. Alas, it is not the sort of place where a person can enjoy herself wandering about looking for fossils. It is maybe not maximum gummint paranoia kind of place but there's quite enough of that sort of thing. So I have to look for my fossils on the sly, wishfully, with a brief prayer to the God of Fossils to give me a sign, a sighting. They have to come as a gift. Which is fine. Another virtue of the age of the building is that it is divided into offices not cubicles. Offices. With doors. Where you can walk around the desk. Where people knock. Mind you, cubicle culture seems to have migrated in anyhow. A man came into my office one day and helped himself to the lightbulb in my desk lamp. Did I mention that the desk is a desk, made of wood, with drawers and brass drawer pulls? And the desk lamp is brass, with a shade and an incandescent bulb? Since the lamp was not switched on he assumed I didn't need the bulb. I was so completely without presence of mind that I just said, "Sure." Little things like these are pleasing. But here is a good thing I have learned. The mere act of walking down a hallway with a piece of paper somehow conveys the impression that you are a busy and serious person. I'm getting a kick out of this. I frequenly have to walk down the hall with papers in my hand and feel frightfully official and busy. The thing is I am actually busy. But the impression of business is a slightly different thing. Especially when I'm wearing heels.

5 Comments:

At 12:26 AM, Blogger chuckling said...

Great story. David Sedaris notwithstanding, the genre has its possibilities.

 
At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out the bridge outside your office, it's covered in fossils. So is the old building across the street from you.

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Kia said...

There's a bridge outside my office? I mean, there could be; this place is so big I haven't even walked all the way around it. How unadventurous of me you will say. And there doesn't seem to be an old building across the street. It could be one of those sides of the building that I've never been on. Oooh I do love a mystery! Tell us more, anonymous, and tell us your real fake name!

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

mont blanc pens, canada goose, uggs outlet, p90x workout, reebok shoes, chi flat iron, babyliss, soccer jerseys, valentino shoes, instyler ionic styler, insanity workout, bottega veneta, north face jackets, ugg soldes, canada goose outlet, beats headphones, hollister, uggs outlet, soccer shoes, new balance outlet, asics shoes, abercrombie and fitch, mcm handbags, wedding dresses, ugg boots, canada goose outlet, lululemon outlet, ugg outlet, celine handbags, birkin bag, replica watches, nike roshe, nfl jerseys, north face jackets, vans outlet, nike trainers, ugg, ghd, ferragamo shoes, canada goose outlet, mac cosmetics, ugg boots, longchamp, giuseppe zanotti, herve leger, nike huarache, uggs on sale, jimmy choo shoes, marc jacobs outlet

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

links of london uk, swarovski jewelry, moncler, pandora uk, canada goose, supra shoes, ray ban, timberland shoes, hollister, juicy couture outlet, moncler outlet, thomas sabo uk, coach outlet, vans, gucci, hollister canada, parajumpers outlet, oakley, canada goose, moncler, swarovski uk, montre femme, louis vuitton canada, moncler, wedding dress, uggs canada, converse shoes, air max, lancel, toms outlet, juicy couture outlet, hollister clothing, moncler, baseball bats, pandora charms, louboutin, ralph lauren, replica watches, converse, ugg, moncler outlet, canada goose, karen millen, iphone 6 case, moncler, nike air max, pandora jewelry, canada goose pas cher

 

Post a Comment

<< Home